mardi 25 septembre 2018

checking two indices to see if the characters match

Like the title says, I am trying to check two different indices to see if they match. In my case I am checking indices 3 and 4. I have no problem determining if they match or not, but if my string is too short and does not have a character in at index 3 or 4 my program throws a fit. Here is a copy of my code. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

/** * Checks the characters in a String at indices 3 and 4 to see if those characters match * @param input String to check * @return "MATCH" if String's indices 3 and 4 have the same letter, "NO MATCH" if String's * indices 3 and 4 do not have the same letter, "N/A" if the String is too short to have a letter at index 3 or index 4 */ private static String method4(String input) {

    Scanner scan = new Scanner(System.in);

    System.out.println("What is your word? ");
    input = scan.nextLine();
    int len = input.length();

    if (len < 4) {
        System.out.println("N/A");
    }
    else{
        char char1 = input.charAt(3);
        char char2 = input.charAt(4);
        if ((char1) == (char2)) {
        System.out.println("MATCH");
    }}
    else
    System.out.println("NO MATCH");

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire